Scottish Youth Parliament Press Office
Youth Parliament launches five-year manifesto backed by 72,744 consultation responses.
The Scottish Youth Parliament (SYP) will launch the manifesto that will direct its policy for the next five years at itsNational Sitting in Galashiels this weekend. The manifesto, titled Lead The Way, has come about through the largest consultation undertaken in the organisation’s history.
Members of the Scottish Youth Parliament (MSYPs) consulted with young people in Scotland on the proposed policy statements from June 2015 until January 2016, and received 72,744 responses. Lead The Way provides SYP with a clear mandate to represent the young people of Scotland, and amplify their voices on the issues that affect their lives.
The Scottish Youth Parliament Chair, Jordan Linden MSYP said,
“Since we were established in 1999, the Scottish Youth Parliament has been the voice of Scotland’s young people, and the platform from which their views are heard. It’s young people’s right to have their opinions listened to on the issues that affect them, and no other piece of work our parliament undertakes more realises that right than the Lead The Way manifesto.This manifesto received a staggering 72,744 consultation responses, the most of any manifesto in our parliament’s history.
For a long time, we have been saying that the way to get young people involved in politics is to talk about the issues that are important in their lives. Young people have resoundingly told us what issues are important in their lives, and now it is time for these issues to be at the top of the agenda for decision makers.
I am thankful to all the young people who took the time to contribute their views, and assure them that with the strength of their voices behind us, we will be taking this document to elected leaders and government officials, and actively campaigning on the issues important to them. Together, we are truly leading the way.”
Notes to editor
1. All media enquiries to Anna Dickens, Communications Officer, 07729 487627/ 0131 524 0819
2. The Scottish Youth Parliament is the democratically elected voice of Scotland’s young people.
3. The 59th National Sitting of the Scottish Youth Parliament will be held at the Langlee Complex in Galashiels. The Sitting is closed to the general public.
4. Lead The Way will be launched to the membership on Saturday 12 March.
5. The Youth Parliament’s annual awards ceremony, SYP Awards, will take place on Saturday evening 12 March.