The Scottish Youth Parliament's Campaign on Young People's Mental Health
During the 58th National SYP Sitting in October 2015, MSYPs voted to make young people's mental health the subject of their next national campaign. The campaign, Speak Your Mind, will address three main themes:
- Prevention: Working to prevent mental health problems before they arise.
- Early Intervention: Recognising early warning signs of mental health problems and knowing how to positively intervene before they reach a critical stage.
- Services and Support: Improving the quality of services and support for young people with mental health problems.
Speak Your Mind will focus on raising awareness of mental health, empowering young people to talk positively about mental health, and calling for accessible, high quality mental health services and information for all of Scotland’s young people.
- To increase young people’s awareness and understanding of the issues associated with mental health.
- To encourage the use of a common language in order to promote positive conversations, and tackle stigma associated with young people’s mental health.
- To identify young people’s awareness and experience of mental health information and services for young people across Scotland.
- To advocate for high quality mental health service and information provision for all of Scotland’s young people, with supporting guidance on best practice for service providers.
Speak Your Mind will run in three phases through 2016:
- Phase One (Research) will focus on identifying young people’s awareness and experience of mental health services and information across Scotland, through a research project carried out by MSYPs. This phase will run from January 2016 to June 2016.
- Phase Two (Advocacy) will be informed by the findings of the research project, and will be launched in summer 2016.
- Phase Three (Engagement) will run throughout the year, and will focus on raising awareness and understanding of young people’s mental health, and on promoting positive conversations about mental health.
- Fill in the Speak Your Mind research survey and let SYP know your views and experience of mental health services and information (deadline 16th April 2016). Find the survey here. If you are a Young Scot NEC cardholder, you can gain Young Scot Reward points for your efforts!
- Contact SYP’s Youth Engagement Team for information about the Speak Your Mind engagement session.
- Follow @OfficialSYP on Twitter, and use #SYPSpeakYourMind to keep up to date with all the campaign discussions.
- Visit the Events page to find out about upcoming events and opportunities.