Employment Opportunities at the Scottish Youth Parliament
The Scottish Youth Parliament (SYP) represents Scotland’s young people. Our vision for Scotland is of a nation that actively listens to and values the meaningful participation of its children and young people. Our goal is to make this vision a reality, in order to ensure Scotland is the best place in the world to grow up.
We are a fundamentally rights-based organisation, and our mission, vision, and values are grounded in the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child (UNCRC). In particular, our purpose embodies Article 12:
"Young people have the right to express their
views freely and have their opinions listened
to in all matters affecting them.”
As a youth-led organisation, the words and sentiment of Article 12 have profound importance for our work.
Our democratically elected members listen to and recognise the issues that are most important to young people, ensuring that their voices are heard by decision-makers. We exist to provide a national platform for young people to discuss the issues that are important to them, and campaign to effect the change they wish to see.
Democracy – We are youth-led and accountable to young people aged 14 to 25. Our democratic structure, and the scale of our engagement across Scotland gives us a mandate that sets us apart from other organisations.
Rights – We are a fundamentally rights-based organisation. We are passionate about making young people aware of their rights, and ensuring that local and national government deliver policies that allow those rights to be upheld.
Inclusion – We are committed to being truly inclusive and work tirelessly to ensure the voices of every young person from every community and background in Scotland are heard.
Political Impartiality – We are independent from all political parties. By working with all stakeholders, groups, and individuals who share our values, we can deliver the policies that are most important to young people.
Trainee Youth Worker
We are excited to announce the opportunity for a Trainee Youth Worker to join the SYP Team. Your role will be to support the delivery of the SYP Youth Engagement Team. The role will involve working with young people to increase the knowledge and awareness of the Scottish Youth Parliament through our interactive sessions and administration, in line with SYP policies.
The successful candidate will:
1. Have a keen interest of working with young people.
2. Be able to relate and speak to young people.
3. Be willing to learn about how the United Nations Rights of the Child links to our work and develop ways of working with young people to promote the UNCRC.
4. Support the Participation and Engagement Officer in designing and developing training programmes and outreach activities which deliver core work plan objectives.
5. Support Members of the Scottish Youth Parliament throughout their term.
6. Support the Training and Development Officer in delivering training, using participative methodologies, to participants, including young people, youth workers and other professionals.
7. Maintain accurate records of all participative strategies and who is involved in each therefore providing administrative support in doing so.
8. Complete any other appropriate project-related tasks and contribute to the overall delivery of SYP Work Plan.
9. Work collaboratively with other SYP staff, in order to deliver effective and integrated services.
10. Adhere to the organisation’s policy and procedures.
11. Be able to travel regularly and often work evening and weekends.
12. Carry out any other tasks that are reasonably requested.
Please contact your Jobcentre Plus or Skills Development Scotland advisor to access a CJS application form. Completed forms should be sent to email@example.com.