SYP's 2018-19 campaign on public transport
Every year, SYP delivers a national campaign which focuses on a major issue affecting young people in Scotland.
At SYP’s June 2018 National Sitting, MSYPs voted for ‘public transport’ to be the focus of the 2018-19 campaign, after consultation with over 10,500 young people across Scotland. This campaign is called All Aboard.
The campaign launched on Saturday 20th October, 2018, at SYP's 67th National Sitting.
All Aboard aims 'To improve young people's experience of public transport in Scotland'. To achieve this aim, the campaign will focus on three themes:
- Reducing fares: this theme will focus on improving existing concessionary rates on public transport for young people in Scotland up to their 26th birthday.
- Accessibility: this theme will focus on improving the accessibility of public transport and waiting areas for young people.
- Bus standards: this theme will focus on improving bus services and waiting standards for young people across Scotland.
All Aboard will run in two phases between October 2018 and June 2019.
Phase One: Consultation will focus on collecting information about young people’s experiences of public transport, and will run from October 2018 until December 2018. During this phase, we want to find out what young people think could improve their experience of using public transport.
The consultation has questions relating to each of the three campaign themes, and there are three different ways young people can take part in this consultation:
- By filling in the online survey, which is available here.
- By filling in a paper survey, which can be downloaded here (accessible version here) and posted to Rosy Burgess, Events and Campaigns Officer, Gordon Lamb House, 3 Jackson’s Entry, Edinburgh, EH8 8PJ.
- By taking part in a consultation workshop with a local MSYP. You can find out how to contact your local MSYP here.
The consultation will end on Monday 3rd December 2018, and our findings will be launched in January 2019.
Phase Two: Action will be informed by the findings of the consultation in phase one. During this phase, MSYPs will carry out local actions to call for changes relating to each of the three campaign themes. This phase will launch in January 2019 and will run until the end of the current membership at the June 2019 Sitting.
- Follow @OfficialSYP on Twitter, and use #AllAboardSYP to keep up to date with all the campaign discussions.
- Take part in the campaign consultation here, or contact your local MSYP to find out about local campaign activities.
This page will be updated with news and resources as the campaign progresses, so be sure to check back regularly. If you have any questions about All Aboard which haven't been covered on this page, please contact our Events and Campaigns Officer, Rosy Burgess, by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.