SYP's 2018-19 campaign on public transport
Every year, SYP delivers a national campaign which focuses on a major issue affecting young people in Scotland.
At SYP’s June 2018 National Sitting, MSYPs voted for ‘public transport’ to be the focus of the 2018-19 campaign, after consultation with over 10,500 young people across Scotland. This campaign is called All Aboard.
The campaign launched on Saturday 20th October, 2018, at SYP's 67th National Sitting.
All Aboard aims 'To improve young people's experience of public transport in Scotland'. To achieve this aim, the campaign will focus on three themes:
- Reducing fares: this theme will focus on improving existing concessionary rates on public transport for young people in Scotland up to their 26th birthday.
- Accessibility: this theme will focus on improving the accessibility of public transport and waiting areas for young people.
- Bus standards: this theme will focus on improving bus services and waiting standards for young people across Scotland.
All Aboard will run in two phases between October 2018 and June 2019.
Phase One: Consultation focused on collecting information about young people’s experiences of public transport, and ran between October and December 2018. During this phase, MSYPs consulted with 1,329 young people across Scotland to find out what would improve their experience of using public transport.
The results of our consultation launched in January 2019, in a report called All Aboard.
The All Aboard report highlights ten key findings.
Based on these key findings, we have put forward ten recommendations, aimed at Transport Scotland, public transport companies, and Regional Transport Partnerships, calling for changes that will help to improve young people's experiences of public transport in Scotland.
Download a summary of the background to the campaign here.
Phase Two: Action will take place between January and June 2019, and will focus on sharing our All Aboard key findings and recommendations. During this phase, MSYPs will be calling on:
- Transport Scotland and the Scottish Government to review existing concessionary discounts, and expand these to include all young people up to their 26th birthday.
- Public transport companies to support a Young People’s Public Transport Charter, which outlines five actions companies can take to improve public transport for young people.
- Regional Transport Partnerships to include young people in regional transport decisions which affect them.
- Follow@OfficialSYP on Twitter, and use #AllAboardSYP to keep up to date with all the campaign discussions.
- Read our All Aboard report and share the findings.
- Contact your local MSYPs to find out what actions they’re planning in your area.
- Check out our interactive map to see what actions MSYPs have already taken (coming soon)!
- Visit the Events page to find out about upcoming events and opportunities.
- Read this letter from SYP to the Scottish Parliament's Rural Economy and Connectivity Committee with findings from a consultation MSYPs carried out on the Transport (Scotland) Bill.
This page will be updated with news and resources as the campaign progresses, so be sure to check back regularly. If you have any questions about All Aboard which haven't been covered on this page, please contact our Events and Campaigns Officer, Rosy Burgess, by emailing email@example.com.